Marketing + Communications manager
Death - though heart-wrenching – can be beautiful. Its rituals can be meaningful, and disposition of the body can be simple, gentle, and natural. The Recompose model provides a needed alternative to existing funeral practices, offering an authentic, participatory experience for families and a natural return to the earth for the dead.
Recompose|SEATTLE will be the first facility in the world to offer the service of natural organic reduction, where human bodies are converted into soil. The facility will function as a funeral home, and it will also be a place where families come to celebrate the lives of loved ones.
The Marketing and Communications Manager will work closely with the CEO and Director of Services to build awareness of and interest in Recompose|SEATTLE and manage requests for information from press and individuals.
Working with CEO and Director of Services, the Marketing and Communications Manager will define, prioritize, plan and execute a category defining and fully integrated Go-To-Market strategy. This person will also help advise and define a Recompose brand strategy as well as support the development of a fully integrated brand toolkit that will be executed through all marketing channels and platforms. In addition to leading the GTM strategy, the Marketing and Communications Manager will be responsible for building out and executing marketing tactics and required marketing assets into key campaign beats for the following (as an example):
Lead Generation & CRM
Lead our Go-To-Market Strategy
• Build relationships with senior living facilities, hospices, and end-of-live organizations and schedule presentations by Recompose staff.
• Serve as a company evangelist for outreach events, keynotes, and exhibitor opportunities.
• Respond to email inquiries from the general public and press.
Drive Broad Awareness of Recompose
• Work with CEO and Brand/Marketing Consultants to inform brand strategy and ensure that the Recompose brand is consistent and compelling across all media channels and within Recompose|SEATTLE.
• Work with CEO and design team to ensure lobby and retail shop are welcoming, educational, and compelling to visitors, and match our brand.
• Manage social media accounts and maintain website.
• Travel and present about Recompose (not required but would be nice.)
Spearhead Outbound Marketing Tactics
• Develop a strategic advertising plan to drive education and consideration of Recompose|SEATTLE.
• Assist staff with the generation of content, creation of design, and distribution of our monthly newsletter.
• Manage relationship management with media contacts and field engagement requests.
Skills Needed to succeed
• Empathy and interpersonal sensitivity – great listening skills.
• Exceptional customer relationship skills.
• Creativity and problem-solving – ability to think on your feet and respond professionally to a wide range of questions and, potentially, challenging/negative perspectives from press.
• Comfort being around human remains and speaking with grieving people.
• Comfort speaking with families, the general public, and press about Recompose.
• Strategic thinking, ability to act upon organizational mission, vision, and values.
• Emotional generosity – ability and willingness to offer comfort and support to people in distress, whether clients or team members.
• Resilience – ability to manage own emotions, demonstrate self-control under pressure, and practice self-care.
• Flexibility – ability to multi-task, adapt to new situations, and to change focus unexpectedly.
• Commitment – ability to work at a progressive company that explicitly works to be anti-racist, by advocating and protecting the rights of people of color and religious minorities, and feminist, by protecting the rights of women, transgender, and gender nonconforming people.
• 2+ years work experience in marketing and communications.
• Proven digital marketing experience including social media account management, website maintenance, and general knowledge and use of digital technology.
• Excellent writing skills.
• Graphic design experience a plus.
• Exceptional communication skills: written, interpersonal, and public speaking.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
Flexibility will be key especially in the first few years of operations. For the first few years, as we grow to capacity and hire staff, it’s likely that this exempt position will work some long weeks (~50 hours). Likewise, as we develop the on-site events programming and overall schedule, a lot of flexibility will be required. We have designed our benefits package to compensate for this expectation.
In the long run (3-5 years,) it is Recompose’s explicit goal to create an atmosphere where staff work 40 hour weeks and the live/work balance doesn’t only exist, but is celebrated.
In terms of physical requirements, this position needs to be able to move back and forth between offices, lobby, and service area several times daily.
$75,000-95,000 depending on experience, plus benefits. Position is based in Seattle, WA.
To apply, please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “marketing position” in the subject line. No phone calls, please.